Below we provide the links for the free download of the App:
After several years of intense work, the Delegation of Environment, Inland Tourism and Climate Change of the Diputación de Málaga has designed a revolutionary Application (App) based on Augmented Reality to guide hikers step by step along the entire Great Malaga Path (GR 249). The App, unique nationwide at the time of its launch, is available for mobile devices (phones and tablets) that use either of the two leading operating systems in the market, Google Android or Apple iOS. There are three main features:
By simply focusing the marker located on each beacon or panel through the camera (mobile or tablet), this Augmented Reality-based App allows us to locate ourselves along the official approved route of the Great Malaga Path (GR 249). The App has a very simple and intuitive interface with very useful and novel elements for hikers.
Most of the essential resources of the stages can be downloaded before going through them. With this we avoid using mobile data and do not compromise battery life. Unlike other Apps, this one is based on GPS and allows the hiker to be kept located without having to use data. Precisely for this reason, because all phones have GPS and we are based on geopositioning, the App works with total precision even if there is no coverage.
Among the features of this App is that it offers information about:
- the stage in which the hiker is located, between the 35 stages and 5 variants or sections of the Great Malaga Path, which runs through 850 kms, 9 counties, 58 municipalities, and crosses 4 Natural Parks, 2 Natural Reserves and 5 Natural Places.
- the municipalities of beginning and end of stage
- the paths with which it links
- the location of the hiker in the stage, using green arrows in Augmented Reality that indicate the distance to the next and previous beacon to where it is, the distance traveled as well as the direction to the next beacon
- downloading the stage in .PDF and the route in .GPX (which can be opened with other route viewing applications such as Wikiloc)
- the image or photo identifying the stage, the map of it and the essential characteristics (type of stage, pavement, distance, estimated time, difference in altitude, etc.)
- the video summary of the stage
- the satellite map with the real location of the hiker and his positioning on the trail (the route is indicated as points, those already traveled appearing in green and those pending in red)
- the list of all the stages and their variants or sections, listed from the beginning and with the municipalities of beginning and end, in which those already traveled and those pending
- the link to the specific stage on the website of the Great Malaga Path
- the "+" button, with additional information to link to all the stages and with all the information collected on the website of the Great Path of Malaga and with connection to social networks (Facebook and Twitter) or to call in case of emergencies at 112.
Finally, if when passing through any of the municipalities of the route you want to know its heritage, its natural resources, its establishments, its leisure activities, etc. we invite you to download our App "Costa del Sol Málaga" in which you will find all the tourist resources gathered. You will literally carry "Málaga in your pocket." Download our tourist application for free from: